Staff member
Tokens

College football's best 2023 true freshmen at 39 different skills​

ESPN PLUS $ MATERIAL

Quarterbacks​

i

Most accurate passer: Jackson Arnold, Oklahoma
ESPN 300 rank: 3​

Arnold's accuracy is the result of great footwork, balance and a compact delivery. He also has some of the best awareness in this class and doesn't force throws. He threw for 3,476 yards and 33 touchdowns against just two interceptions as a senior while completing nearly 70% of those passes. Following a successful spring in which he became more comfortable with the playbook, Arnold enters the season at No. 2 for the Sooners behind starter Dillon Gabriel.

i

Best arm talent: Nico Iamaleava, Tennessee
ESPN 300 rank: 23

Iamaleava is arguably the most gifted passer in this class with the highest upside. He's still developing his large frame (6-foot-6, 205 pounds) and refining some mechanics, but the arm talent is obvious. He fires the ball with snap and has the velocity to drive it downfield through small windows. Iamaleava had a successful spring with eye-popping throws but still will enter the season behind Joe Milton III.

i

Best mechanics: Arch Manning, Texas
ESPN 300 rank: 5

Manning has excellent footwork and tempo in his drop and very polished throwing mechanics. He's been taught from an early age about the nuances of the position, and it shows as he's one of the more refined passers we have seen at this stage. Manning's one knock is lack of competition in high school, but he won't be rushed into playing time at Texas -- acclimation is needed.

i

Best field vision: Dylan Lonergan, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 36

Lonergan is an instinctive pocket passer who quickly scans the field and has a feel for throwing to open receivers with rhythm and timing. His sound ability to read coverage means he doesn't make a lot of bad decisions with the football. He will extend plays with good mobility while keeping his eyes downfield to find breakdowns in coverage. Ultimately, he's a great game manager and strong fit for Alabama.

i

Best pocket presence: Dante Moore, UCLA
ESPN 300 rank: 2

Moore is one of the best high school QBs we have seen at going through progressions in the pocket while staying calm and collected. He sees the field extremely well and is rarely rattled when his throwing lanes close. With an uncanny knack for feeling and escaping trouble, he stands strong against the rush. Moore is too talented, mentally and physically, not to see the field this fall for UCLA.

i

Best scrambler: Chris Parson, Mississippi State
ESPN 300 rank: 192

Parson is super elusive and instinctive moving around the pocket while extending plays. He does a great job stepping up and also eluding pressure laterally. He seems faster than his modest 4.7-second 40-yard dash and appears quicker than his 4.5 shuttle time. His innate feel for a closing pocket and intangibles at the position can't be measured with a stopwatch. He reminds you of an old-school football player when improvising outside the pocket. He won't be rushed into playing time at Mississippi State.

i

Quickest release: Malachi Nelson, USC
ESPN 300 rank: 1

Nelson is a confident passer, and it's justified given his lightning release and the velocity of the ball off his hand. His ultra-quick release is the result of a smooth, fluid throwing motion and knowing where he wants to go with the ball. He's poised and talented and is shaping up to be the heir apparent to Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
greyline.png

Running backs​

i

Best power/contact balance: Cedric Baxter Jr., Texas
ESPN 300 rank: 30​

Baxter packs a punch at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds. He can get that big body downhill with momentum and has posted a laser verified 4.6-second 40-yard dash. The Florida native runs a bit high, but it doesn't stop him from powering through arm tackles and bouncing off defenders in the hole once he explodes upfield. Baxter should push for carries this season after a strong spring and eventually add Bijan Robinson's type of production over his career.

i

Best home run speed: Dylan Edwards, Colorado
ESPN 300 rank: 140​

Edwards beat out track phenom Nyckoles Harbor in the final heat of the Under Armour All-America Game's fastest man competition with a blazing 4.41-second laser verified 40-yard dash ... on grass. His game speed in pads doesn't seem to diminish having hit 22 mph. He gets to top speed within a few steps and is extremely decisive in finding the quickest cut to the end zone. Edwards is too fast to keep off the field for a rebuilding Colorado program.

i

Most elusive: Justice Haynes, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 24​

Haynes is undersized (5-foot-11, 205 pounds) but has great jump-cut and lateral burst into the hole to make defenders miss. He is sudden and slippery in space and will redirect on a dime with excellent acceleration to top speed time. We measured him at 21.76 mph on game tape, which compares to Dalvin Cook at Florida State. We would not be surprised if he vies for significant playing time this season.

i

Best pass catching RB: Cole Cabana, Michigan
ESPN 300 rank: 116​

Cabana has excellent ball skills and is very polished as a pass receiver. He can line up in the slot and be just as effective given his hands and route running savvy. He's a difficult matchup in space and will most likely be moved around the backfield in Ann Arbor. The Wolverines have one of the top backfields this season, and it will take time before we see major production from Cabana.

i

Best every down: Richard Young, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 22​

Young is already built like an NFL back with a strong, compact frame and thick lower half. He can handle the load and get the tough yards between the tackles on early run downs. Not just a physical power back, he's run a 10.8-second in the 100 meters and can really open it up and go once he's in the second level. His hands are good in the screen game, and he has the frame to pass block. Young figures to be a perfect fit for the Tide, but the team's RB room is deep this fall.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

Wide receivers​

i

Best route runner: Carnell Tate, Ohio State
ESPN 300 rank: 241

Tate is not a burner, but as IMG's leading receiver, he consistently got open versus the top competition in country. At 6-foot-2, he does an excellent job dropping his hips in and out of breaks as a route runner. He's savvy in setting up DBs and understanding spacing and leverage in coverage. There should be room for him to earn valuable snaps this season in Columbus.

i

Best ball skills: Makai Lemon, USC
ESPN 300 rank: 13

On the biggest stage against the top talent, Lemon won the best hands competition during Under Armour All-America Game week. His hand-eye coordination and body control are outstanding and don't waver when contested on jump balls or in traffic. Lemon reminds many of former USC receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown but joins a deep receiver room.

i

Most dynamic: Zachariah Branch, USC
ESPN 300 rank: 7

The fastest receiver in the 2023 class with a laser verified 4.41-second 40-yard dash and equally impressive 10.33-second in the 100 meters. Branch can quickly get up the seam and stretch a defense or take a short pass to the house with top-tier acceleration. He's an electric game-breaker as a receiver or punt returner. His versatility and speed should lead to freshman production.

i

Best catch and run ability: Johntay Cook II, Texas
ESPN 300 rank: 26

Cook is not the biggest receiver, but he's ultra quick and sudden after the catch. His transition upfield is fluid and explosive. He has that separation burst to make defenders miss in tight quarters. Cook has the third fastest shuttle (4.05) in the entire 2023 class. That time would have been the second fastest in last year's NFL combine. Following a great spring, Cook should be in the rotation this fall.

i

Best deep threat: Ashton Cozart, Oregon
ESPN 300 rank: 95​

At 6-foot-3 with a laser verified 4.45-second 40-yard dash and 10.7 in the 100 meters, Cozart has the size and speed combination to take the top off a defense. He doesn't always look ultra-fast given his stride, but he will quickly get behind coverage, and his wide catch radius adds to his range as a pass-catcher. Oregon has a strong receiving room, and his impact may be limited this fall despite the rare size and speed combo.

i

Best contested-catch ability: Jurrion Dickey, Oregon
ESPN 300 rank: 38​

Dickey, 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, looks like a TE or H-back and has a similar skill set when boxing out smaller DBs on a jump ball and high pointing. Not surprisingly, he's a basketball player with a near 40-inch vertical and polished ball skills. With his size and potential red zone value, Dickey may have a better shot at carving out a role than Cozart.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

Tight ends​

i

Best pass-catcher: Duce Robinson, USC​

ESPN 300 rank: 40​

A top two-sport athlete (baseball), Robinson projects to be a dangerous target from the tight end position for the Trojans. A big body (6-foot-6, 225 pounds, 80-inch wingspan) that moves extremely well with 32-plus inch vertical, Robinson can create matchup problems. He has very good hands and body control and has proved he can be a very productive target. He notched 84 receptions for over 1,600 yards with 14 TDs as a high school senior. We see early packages for Robinson given his matchup abilities

i

Best seam stretcher: Nyckoles Harbor, South Carolina

ESPN 300 rank: 39​

This did not take much thought as Harbor is one of the fastest prospects in this class regardless of position. An argument could be made that he's a better fit as an edge on defense, but he's slated to play on offense where he is a vertical threat. A lengthy target with world-class speed, he has been clocked at 10.28 in 100 meters. The future Gamecock can stretch the seam to generate big plays and command attention from defenses. We feel this fall will be more of an acclimation period than immediate impact production.

i

Best blocker: Cooper Flanagan, Notre Dame

ESPN 300 rank: 292​

With a split back veer attack, De La Salle (California) is no stranger to running the ball, and as a result, Flanagan enters college with plenty of experience doing dirty work in the trenches. At roughly 6-foot-6 and 255 pounds, he has the size, fundamentals and aggressive demeanor to dominate as an inline blocker. Many viewed departing Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer as the top blocking tight end entering the NFL draft, and Flanagan looks like an ideal candidate to fill this vital role for the Fighting Irish.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

Offensive line​

i

Best foot speed: Francis Mauigoa, Miami
ESPN 300 rank: 6​

What separates this massive and powerful 300-pounder is fluid movement skills. Mauigoa displays outstanding agility, balance and range. A prospect who has never shied away from an opportunity to compete -- he has posted impressive testing numbers, including short shuttle and L-drill times that place him amongst the top 90% of OTs we've seen over the past five cycles. Turn on the tape and you see a big body that can move defensive linemen off the line but also almost effortlessly pull and work to the second level. His frame and movement skills have him projected to start at right tackle this fall.

i

Best pass-protector: Kadyn Proctor, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 10​

One of the most impactful flips of the 2023 cycle was Proctor, leaving his home state of Iowa for Alabama. It was key because the five-star has elite physical tools on his 6-foot-6 frame. He's a prospect who checks all the boxes when looking for a Power 5 offensive tackle -- his pass-protecting skills are his finest trait. He can quickly set with knee bends and mirror and lock down edge rushers with his length and agility. He'll need continued physical development and strength to anchor versus an SEC bull rush, but we would expect Proctor to still compete for a starting role.

i

Best run-blocker: J'ven Williams, Penn State
ESPN 300 rank: 58​

Coming from a wing-T based high school offense, Williams has plenty of experience opening holes. When you add that experience to outstanding physical skills, a dominant run blocking prospect is developed. A two-sport athlete, Williams also has thrown the shot put over 66 feet while displaying excellent body control and power through his hips. On the football field, he transforms those skills with outstanding agility to clear running lanes both at first and second level. This will likely be a developmental year for Williams.

greyline.png

Defensive line​

i

Best speed off the edge: Adepoju 'PJ' Adebawore, Oklahoma
ESPN 300 rank: 23​

From his elite length (84-inch wingspan) to his flexibility and change of direction (7.35 L-drill), Adebawore brings so many desired traits for an elite pass-rusher. It all starts with his initial explosiveness and ability to attack upfield with speed. As he continues to fill out and develop his pass-rushing arsenal, he will only become more difficult to contain.

i

Most physical: Jaquavious Russaw, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 9​

The five-star is a versatile defender who will smash ball carriers from any direction with punishing results. Better known as Qua, the Alabama signee has impressive closing speed on a thickly-built frame which allows him to arrive with force and deliver big hits. The Crimson Tide have fielded some of college football's top defenders, and Russaw has the skills to be one of their next impact, hard-hitting defenders.

i

Best motor: Damon Wilson, Georgia
ESPN 300 rank: 35​

Wilson blends wonderful physical skills with a lunch-pail approach. Among the best pass-rushers in the class (23 sacks over past two seasons) with an explosive get-off, good hands and excellent strength, Wilson accentuates that with relentless effort. A player who never missed a team workout in four years, he puts in the effort to prepare and carries that to the field. Wilson fits the Jack role really well, but the position is deep for Georgia.

i

Best lower body flexibility/bend: Collins Acheampong, Miami
ESPN 300 rank: 156​

This is an edge player with elite length (6-foot-7, 83-inch wingspan) and fluid movements. It's not surprising he played basketball. During the camp circuit his junior year, Acheampong quickly created a buzz with his performance, including a blazing 7.33 L-drill in what he said was his first time performing the quickness and change-of-direction test. It may take a little time to further develop in Miami, but players with his size and mobility are in high demand.

i

Best hand usage for a pass-rusher: Peter Woods, Clemson
ESPN 300 rank: 4​

The top-rated defender in the 2023 class could slot into several of these categories but lands here as he makes up for any size deficiencies with quick and violent hands. Whether quickly pressing and shedding blockers to defend the run or knocking blockers' hands down as a pass-rusher, he makes it difficult to get hands on him. This is usually one area where many top prospects need to improve upon entering college, but Woods is already strong with this skill, which should lead to an immediate impact for Clemson.

i

Most powerful: David Hicks, Texas A&M
ESPN 300 rank: 8​

Among the most explosive players in this class, Hicks plays with great effort and tenacity. There often seems to be a wake of carnage in his path. He will fire off the ball and be a disruptive force, but you see his power when he meets resistance. He consistently jolts blockers and powers through them. The son of a high school coach, he knows the game well to match his power. He should be a factor for the Aggies in Year 1.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

Offensive line​

i

Best foot speed: Francis Mauigoa, Miami
ESPN 300 rank: 6​

What separates this massive and powerful 300-pounder is fluid movement skills. Mauigoa displays outstanding agility, balance and range. A prospect who has never shied away from an opportunity to compete -- he has posted impressive testing numbers, including short shuttle and L-drill times that place him amongst the top 90% of OTs we've seen over the past five cycles. Turn on the tape and you see a big body that can move defensive linemen off the line but also almost effortlessly pull and work to the second level. His frame and movement skills have him projected to start at right tackle this fall.

i

Best pass-protector: Kadyn Proctor, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 10​

One of the most impactful flips of the 2023 cycle was Proctor, leaving his home state of Iowa for Alabama. It was key because the five-star has elite physical tools on his 6-foot-6 frame. He's a prospect who checks all the boxes when looking for a Power 5 offensive tackle -- his pass-protecting skills are his finest trait. He can quickly set with knee bends and mirror and lock down edge rushers with his length and agility. He'll need continued physical development and strength to anchor versus an SEC bull rush, but we would expect Proctor to still compete for a starting role.

i

Best run-blocker: J'ven Williams, Penn State
ESPN 300 rank: 58​

Coming from a wing-T based high school offense, Williams has plenty of experience opening holes. When you add that experience to outstanding physical skills, a dominant run blocking prospect is developed. A two-sport athlete, Williams also has thrown the shot put over 66 feet while displaying excellent body control and power through his hips. On the football field, he transforms those skills with outstanding agility to clear running lanes both at first and second level. This will likely be a developmental year for Williams.

greyline.png

Defensive line​

i

Best speed off the edge: Adepoju 'PJ' Adebawore, Oklahoma
ESPN 300 rank: 23​

From his elite length (84-inch wingspan) to his flexibility and change of direction (7.35 L-drill), Adebawore brings so many desired traits for an elite pass-rusher. It all starts with his initial explosiveness and ability to attack upfield with speed. As he continues to fill out and develop his pass-rushing arsenal, he will only become more difficult to contain.

i

Most physical: Jaquavious Russaw, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 9​

The five-star is a versatile defender who will smash ball carriers from any direction with punishing results. Better known as Qua, the Alabama signee has impressive closing speed on a thickly-built frame which allows him to arrive with force and deliver big hits. The Crimson Tide have fielded some of college football's top defenders, and Russaw has the skills to be one of their next impact, hard-hitting defenders.

i

Best motor: Damon Wilson, Georgia
ESPN 300 rank: 35​

Wilson blends wonderful physical skills with a lunch-pail approach. Among the best pass-rushers in the class (23 sacks over past two seasons) with an explosive get-off, good hands and excellent strength, Wilson accentuates that with relentless effort. A player who never missed a team workout in four years, he puts in the effort to prepare and carries that to the field. Wilson fits the Jack role really well, but the position is deep for Georgia.

i

Best lower body flexibility/bend: Collins Acheampong, Miami
ESPN 300 rank: 156​

This is an edge player with elite length (6-foot-7, 83-inch wingspan) and fluid movements. It's not surprising he played basketball. During the camp circuit his junior year, Acheampong quickly created a buzz with his performance, including a blazing 7.33 L-drill in what he said was his first time performing the quickness and change-of-direction test. It may take a little time to further develop in Miami, but players with his size and mobility are in high demand.

i

Best hand usage for a pass-rusher: Peter Woods, Clemson
ESPN 300 rank: 4​

The top-rated defender in the 2023 class could slot into several of these categories but lands here as he makes up for any size deficiencies with quick and violent hands. Whether quickly pressing and shedding blockers to defend the run or knocking blockers' hands down as a pass-rusher, he makes it difficult to get hands on him. This is usually one area where many top prospects need to improve upon entering college, but Woods is already strong with this skill, which should lead to an immediate impact for Clemson.

i

Most powerful: David Hicks, Texas A&M
ESPN 300 rank: 8​

Among the most explosive players in this class, Hicks plays with great effort and tenacity. There often seems to be a wake of carnage in his path. He will fire off the ball and be a disruptive force, but you see his power when he meets resistance. He consistently jolts blockers and powers through them. The son of a high school coach, he knows the game well to match his power. He should be a factor for the Aggies in Year 1.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

Linebackers​

i

Most second-level range: Raylen Wilson, Georgia
ESPN 300 rank: 15​

Whoever coined the term "you can run, but you can't hide" was likely being chased by Wilson. A defender who can be a factor from sideline to sideline, he has posted impressive measurables, including a 10.91 in 100 meters at over 200 pounds and a blazing 7.28 L-drill. During the Under Armour All-America week, the five-star regularly impressed with his range and eye-popping explosive closing burst. We expect Wilson to work his way into the rotation before the end of the season -- he's too fast and instinctive to remain on the sideline, even for Georgia.

i

Best second-level blitzer: Blake Purchase, Oregon
Not ranked in ESPN 300 (three stars)​

You're not seeing Russaw here as we're not going to repeat names. While this selection might be a bit of a surprise, it's hard to argue with the production. Having recorded 30 sacks over his final two high school seasons, Purchase has shown excellent ability to get after the QB. Not a pure speed rusher, he's a big body with good initial burst but also impressive power, balance and agility. At nearly 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds, he may end up putting his hand down, but regardless of utilization, he can generate pressure and fill a need for the Ducks.

i

Best run-stopping instincts: Jordan Hall, Michigan State
ESPN 300 rank: 147​

The first three-time captain at IMG, Hall stood out among a talented roster and could end up being one of the biggest steals of this cycle for the Spartans. As the leader of the IMG defense, the coaching staff said he knew their entire scheme and everyone's role. He's not only a physically gifted prospect, he's also a smart and instinctive player. He prepares and applies that in his play and is a defender who reads, reacts and takes good angles, consistently putting himself in position to make plays.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens

Defensive backs​

i

Best deep-field range: Peyton Bowen, Oklahoma
ESPN 300 rank: 17​

Bowen has a clocked a laser verified 4.5-second 40-yard dash and a near 22 mph in pads. He quickly gets off the hash and on top of deep routes for big pass breakups and interceptions. His range is aided by great timing and angles on his pass breaks. He excels in the center field role roaming, reading and reacting with great speed and range. His football knowledge complements his physical skills and should lead to this true freshman earning playing time this season.

i

Best hitter: Joenel Aguero, Georgia
ESPN 300 rank: 27​

If anyone has questions about Aguero's hitting ability translating from high school to college, just watch Georgia's spring game. He closes on the ball like a missile with great explosion and mean intentions. He packs a punch at 200 pounds with 4.48 speed and makes receivers think twice about going over the middle. Aguero should see snaps at the Star position this fall.

i

Top ball hawk: Caleb Downs, Alabama
ESPN 300 rank: 11​

One of the more instinctive safeties we have seen in recent classes, Downs reading and reacting ability are rare at the high school level. He's a quarterback of the defense when deployed in a center-field role. He quickly sees the play unfold and utilizes his excellent range, closing ability and ball skills to undercut or get over the top of routes. He accounted for near 20 interceptions during his high school career and should carve out a role this fall in Tuscaloosa.

i

Best transition ability: Malik Muhammad, Texas
ESPN 300 rank: 52​

Muhammad has great feet with limited wasted steps coming out of his breaks to close or flipping his hips to stay in phase with a faster receiver in man coverage. He boasts a 4.11 5-10-5 shuttle showcasing his rare quickness and change-of-direction ability. His bend and ability to sink his hips in quick movements for a 6-foot defensive back is excellent. Timing and anticipation are two of his physical assets that complement his play in transition. We see an early special teams impact and eventual secondary rotation for Muhammad this season.

i

Best coverage ability: A.J. Harris, Georgia
ESPN 300 rank: 37​

Harris is both scheme versatile and a well-rounded and well-groomed defensive back. He can effectively press when in man-to-man with good strength and length or redirect and jump routes in zone coverage with great anticipation and breaking speed. The coverage experience and polished ball skills should lead to a productive career in Athens for Harris but early playing time may be limited.

i

Best run-stopping instincts: Cormani McClain, Colorado
ESPN 300 rank: 14​

McClain would have nabbed the biggest upside category if we had one for defensive backs. His skills include a rare blend of size, speed and strength led to plenty of big run-stopping plays in high school and more to come in Boulder. He's quick to fight through stalk blocks on the perimeter and set the edge. McClain will also utilize his range to chase down second-level runs as a really strong and reliable open field tackler who doesn't shy away from contact. While the polish may not be there quite yet, he has "one of the best to ever do it" coaching him in Deion Sanders, which should lead to impactful snaps this fall.

Handicapper
Tokens
Great info. My favorites are UCLA QBDonte Moore and USC QB Nelson.
Could finally be some west coast winners this year in final 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sysconwires2
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com